Help with Travel Expenses

Who qualifies and how to claim

Claiming for travel expenses

Posted: 28 May 2019 · Practice news

Patients may claim travel expenses for admission to hospital or attendance at an out-patient appointment providing they or their guardian can prove receipt of current:

  • HC2
  • War Pension
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • The Highlands and Islands Scheme

Payment may be made for Bus, Train or Private Car Mileage.

Bus or rail tickets MUST be produced as proof of travel before payment is made. Car mileage will be paid for distance travelled from patient's home to hospital by the shortest route. Failure to produce travel receipts may invalidate a claim.

Please ask for the claim form at the point of contact i.e. at your appointment.

Claims over 3 months will not be paid.

Fraudulent travel expenses claims will be reported to NHS Scotland Counter Fraud Services.

If you would like this information in: Polish, BSL, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, Urdu/Punjabi, Hungarian, Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Urdu, Large print, Braille or Audio tape, please contact: NHS Tayside Communications Department on 01382 424138

Source: NHS Tayside

  • Home /
  • News /
  • Help with Travel Expenses
Academy Medical Centre

We are one of the largest GP practices in Tayside, Scotland, with approximately 10,000 patients on our list.

The surgery is open Monday to Friday from 8am - 6pm (except public holidays).

Academy Medical Centre
Academy Street
Tel: 01307 462316