From your Patient Participation Group (PPG)
Every month the Academy Medical Centre Patient Participation Group raises awareness of some health and wellbeing campaigns.
The PPG would like to highlight the following campaigns in October:
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Every October, people all over the world show their support for people affected by breast cancer. Breast Cancer Awareness month helps to raise awareness for the disease and to raise funds for research. The campaign also offers information and free resources to help you with local campaigns.
- The charity Breast Cancer Now, which funds a third of all breast cancer research in the UK and provides award-winning information and support services, are campaigning, volunteering and fundraising. They aim to raise money, raise awareness and make sure people affected by breast cancer know they are there for them. You can buy merchandise, fundraise, volunteer, or simply share information. Find out more at https://breastcancernow.org/.
- The 23rd October is Wear It Pink Day, one of the biggest fundraising events in the UK. Taking place during Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, thousands of amazing people wear it pink in their communities, schools or work places for the UK's largest breast cancer charity, Breast Cancer Now.
- Asda are running Tickled Pink with the aim of changing the future of breast cancer in the UK. For every product sold, you’ll be directly supporting the charities Breast Cancer Now and CoppaFeel!.
- National Cholesterol Month: raising funds for HEART UK and raising awareness of the dangers of high cholesterol. Find out how you can get involved by checking out the Heart UK website.
- Self care: for people with living with persistent health conditions there is a Self Care Toolkit on the NHS website. NHS Tayside also have a useful Guide to Resources to help you take control of your chronic pain.
- Flu vaccination campaign: Details of vaccination clinics are available on the Academy Medical Centre news page and on the Facebook page. There's a useful video to watch to tell you what to expect at your appointment.
Remember, if you do need to speak to a doctor do not hesitate to ring your team for advice and assistance.
You can get involved and raise awareness by talking about the campaigns, tweeting or sharing on social media, or by donating, fundraising and pledging your support.
About the PPG
The Academy Medical Centre PPG has worked with the practice since 2010 to enhance the delivery of primary care services in a number of areas.
You can make a difference to the Practice too! To get involved or find out more about the work and how the PPG assists the practice and you, the patient, see the Academy Medical Centre PPG page. Notes of our meetings are also available to give you a real flavour of what we're doing.