From your Patient Participation Group (PPG)
Every month the Academy Medical Centre Patient Participation Group raises awareness about health and wellbeing. "New Year New You"... now is the time to forge-ahead with those resolutions and get out there and make some changes to improve your health and life style.
Firstly, get your Booster jag if you haven't already done so! Get out in the fresh air even if it is only for 10 minutes for a walk , a run, or walking to the shops. Try to buy fresh or indeed frozen vegetables to get the best out of them.
Also do try to think about your habits such as smoking and drinking and try to cut down. Do look at the following websites for further advice and assistance:
- Jog Scotland: find jog groups and view programmes to help you build up your fitness
- World Walking is a free app that allows you to virtually walk your way around the world
- Get fit for free from nhs.uk
- Change4Life (part of Better Health): Better Health exists to motivate and enable the nation to lead active and healthy lives. It's there to support and encourage all of us in taking steps to improve our physical and mental health.
- Free "Exercise Studio" fitness online workouts from nhs.uk
It's also Cervical Cancer Prevention Week from 17-23 January 2023. Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust wants as many people as possible to know how they can reduce their risk of the disease and to educate others. Read more about cervical cancer at NHS Inform, Cancer Research UK, and Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust. You can tweet and share using the tag #CervicalCancerPreventionWeek, and more resources and ideas for promotion and getting involved are available at https://www.jostrust.org.uk/get-involved/campaign/cervical-cancer-prevention-week.
About the PPG
The Academy Medical Centre PPG has worked with the practice since 2010 to enhance the delivery of primary care services in a number of areas.
You can make a difference to the Practice too! To get involved or find out more about the work and how the PPG assists the practice and you, the patient, see the Academy Medical Centre PPG page. Notes of our meetings are also available to give you a real flavour of what we're doing.